Monday, 1 December 2008

W2TBL - 2 sentences that will make you hate me

**Yes. You are in the right place. I know this isn't W2TBL. I've posted this on my other blog so people don't stumble across it accidentally and, stupidly, fail to heed the following disclaimer:

This is the last “scene” of the epilogue of W2TBL - Book 1, including my unusually cruel teaser. If you have stumbled upon this accidentally and are in the process of reading my other blog, Welcome to the Big League, and you are NOT 100% DONE reading Welcome to the Big League, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DO NOT READ THIS!!! If you have read all of W2TBL and you have no clue what this is, read this first.**

* * *

As promised, Sophie saved a dance for Kaz, who had finally begun to put back on a bit of the weight he’d lost in his coma. Sophie wasn’t surprised by the song that began playing as they reached the dance floor.

“So, is this our song now?” Sophie joked quietly.

“I guess so, I just can’t hear it without thinking about dancing with you that night in Schiedam,” Kaz said with a stiff jaw.

Sophie took a deep breath to steady herself, “It was a good night.”

“It was,” Kaz agreed and pulled her in close.

They danced and Sophie was surprised by how little missing an arm seemed to bother Kaz, he seemed to have already accepted it completely. He’d already found ways to do everything he’d done before, even dancing. Sophie knew she shouldn’t have been so surprised, Kaz had always been one of the most stubbornly creative Saints on the ice, why wouldn’t his ability to improvise manifest itself off the ice?

Steph and Meredith made their exit around one in the morning, escaping to Château Frontenac for a few nights. They weren’t going on a proper honeymoon, Meredith had already taken two weeks off at the beginning of June so she could ‘prepare for the wedding’. Mostly she’d flown back and forth between Manhattan, Montreal and Calgary to see the last two rounds of Steph’s playoff games.

Meredith booked the time off the day after Kaz woke up and Tom and Sophie got back together: somehow, she’d known the Habs would go all the way and, for Meredith, spending a week in Hawaii or the Caribbean didn’t hold a candle to the seeing Stephane Leduc play the four most important games of his professional hockey career. After all, you only win your first Stanley Cup once.

As everyone congratulated the newlyweds on the way out, Sophie slipped her arm through Tom’s and leaned against his shoulder.

Tom turned and brushed a lock of hair out of her eyes and gave her a lingering kiss on the lips, “A year ago, I would never have been able to imagine any of this.”

Sophie watched Steph and Meredith run out, glanced over at André with a very pregnant Koko, saw Kaz with his arm draped protectively around Anna’s shoulders, and turned back to meet Tom’s eyes, “Me neither.”

As everyone blew kisses to the departing newlyweds, Sophie saw Koko’s eyes begin to glaze over. A moment later, Sophie heard a soft thump and her brother’s terrified voice cursing profusely in French.

4 comments:

Safoora said...

That was mean!!!
And now more than ever before I want W2TBL to published! because you deserve it, but more so now because I'm extremely impatient and hate cliffhangers! I just had to read it...ugh.

Meghan said...

I think i may regret having read that....

but I never could resist temtation! ;-)

WHEN this gets publsihed, I will be on of the first in line. I just cannot say how much I've loved this story.

And if by some miracle Kris Letang DOES show up on your doorstep, offering you free tickets to every Pittsburgh playoff game, give me a holler. I'll take you around the sights. ;-)

-Megh

Susan said...

Cruel! But, I can't resist temptation, either. I know Book 1 WILL be published, sooner rather than later. And Book 2 will follow, as will many others. And, I will be proud to say, I read it before it was published! I know that there is a smart publisher out there who will snap this book up in a heartbeat! IT WILL HAPPEN! You just have to believe!

rho said...

oh hey!

(i used to comment at the very beginning of the book posts but tapered off... and since it seemed like a few people were already giving you good copy-edits I decided not to that.... coz i'm not that great at spelling and grammer anyway.

at first i was printing the book out to read in bed with plans of giving it to my sister afterwards but when I realized the length I gave that up.)

I just wanted to comment, now that it's all done, that I was there all along - silently waiting for my next installment and enjoying every minute of your story. i've even sketched little sophies and kokos from time to time (I'm an illustrator).

Anyway, great job. What you did is very inspiring. Hope you get published. I'll definitely buy a copy. Good luck.