Saturday, 31 January 2009

Steve Mason = a minor deity

I don't mean to offend anyone's religious sensibilities, but Mase is just out of this world...


Steve Mason played shutout #7 of his season tonight against my beloved (bedraggled) Ottawa Senators. ...did I mention he's leading the league in shutouts?...


My reaction?

YES!!!


I'm officially a traitor. I wish I could bring myself to care. But I can't. If the Sens can't get their act together... well, I'll look elsewhere for my kicks.

Let the Sens rant begin... I'm not a fair-weather fan. I will keep watching the Sens tank on TSN, but it won't make me any less pissed. Recently, James Duthie explained the Sens suckitude in four words: someone murdered their mojo. It's true: they've lost that ineffable it. Short of a miracle, they aren't getting it back this season. Mojo and moxie won't save this season (and if they do, it would only be due to some very serious lacing of said substances with very hard drugs... in the manner of LSD lollipops or the like).

It's not even really worth trying. I'm not saying they should write the season off completely... no wait, actually I am. They should cut their losses and make an honourable exit. And tank. Completely. With some flair (Spez, I'm lookin' at you kid). And then draft Tavares or Hedman or Janus. Either way, I'm not giving up on my Sens, I'm just exasperated.

Also, WE NEED A DECENT FUCKING GOALIE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST!!!! Can we please make this a priority this June or did we trade away all our decent 2009 draft picks in our futile attempt to make a playoff run last year? If we have the chance, can we please get Jaroslav Janus? PLEASE??? We need a franchise goalie. We're about due up for one. A year or two in Bing and he'll be all set.


I probably won't get into Columbus the way I get into the Pens and Sens (ie. I probably won't bawl my face off when they lose in the first round), but they have some arse-kickingly awesome players and I've been meaning to find a Western conference team to support since the Sens and Pens play GM Place about as often as Haley's Comet graces the skies.

At least it will give me someone to root for in the playoffs. As of tonight Columbus is back up to #6 in the west... (not #5 like the Team 1200 guy said, because Edmonton's got that -do the math boys, do the math...)

Conclusion --> Mer = Traitor ... *shrugs* oh well...


**LATE EDIT** Apparently, I'm not the only one jumping on the Blue Jackets Bandwagon...

3 comments:

ali said...

Ah --- Jaroslav Janus -- I might always have some sort of angry feeling directed toward that kid -- I know I shouldn't, he played a crazy awesome game vs. the USA, but it's just so hard to lose...

Hopefully -- (especially if the Sens would end up drafting him) -- he won't always be able to be crazy awesome vs. my favorite team...

Clare said...

Doesn't this make you like him even more? Granted playing through it probably isn't the smartest idea, even though they didn't diagnose it until Thursday, but it shows his dedication.

mer said...

I WONDERED about that game. I saw the score and went WHAAA????? - especially after shutting out the Sens the night before too...

i doubt it means he'll get re-assigned back down to Syracuse, but how cool would it be to see him ???

I got a kick out of this: "Howson said Mason will not address questions regarding the virus."
umm, like how he got it :P

i can't help but snicker...