Friday, 30 January 2009

warning: random alert

random blog that made me laugh out loud at 2:30 a.m. when both my responsible-9to5-MtoF-job-having roomies are sleeping. *cringe*


random memory derived from re-reading detroit-lauren's comments about playoff support: my friend Andy wearing his Ottawa Senators jersey last spring (a jersey from an era when it was still COOL to own a Hossa jersey), whilst cheering on the Detroit Red Wings in the Cup final, just to spite me for cheering for Pittsburgh. In retrospect, since the Hossa trade, it's even more messed up.


Incidentally, I wasn't kidding when I said I'll cheer for Detroit if the Bruins win the eastern conference title. But I still reserve the right to be pissed that Hossa choked big time in the post-season with the Sens, while seemingly being able to play for Pittsburgh like someone lit a fire under his rear (but I'm not bitter, honest).

random song I listened to about eight billion times today: Big Country by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

random book I've decided I need to read: Anna Karenina.

random idiotic thing my sister used to say that would having my crying laughing: 'Be alert, the world needs more lerts.' She even made a button. I wish I could find it.

random plotting... i need out of Vancouver. this happens about every 6 months (it's been five). the bad thing is that this afternoon, I let myself check cheaptickets.com. there are 343$ round-trip tickets to New York. this is bad. very bad. it means I will probably be in a different time zone for the trade deadline. potentially even in pittsburgh. intentionally. to welcome Army back home. i may also go to more than one Syracuse Crunch game and wait, like a sad sorry little person I am, for the players to leave so that I can get Stefan Legein to sign my Canada jersey. and so I can thank him for coming to his senses and un-retiring from pro-hockey. I may even need to hug him. I will probably apologize. I will also probably spend far too much money and go to DC to the Smithsonian - I am not sure why, but I have developed a NEED to go. generally, I have discovered that it is smart for me to follow these urges: they usually result in bizarre stories that, a couple decades from now, my children won't believe because their mother couldn't possibly have been that cool. although, it is beyond me what kind of mess i could get myself into in a museum. no, wait, let's not go there... I'm sure there is plenty, and now I'm just asking to be caught in the middle of a Hope Diamond heist. the point being that I need out. again. so if I unexpectedly stop posting for two weeks, I'm not dead, I'm just in a different time zone with intermittent internet access. possibly even doing something productive. like research. or editing. but probably not. more likely, i'll be at a Caps-Pens game, or seeing Garnet Rogers or trying to find that restaurant I went to that one time in the East Village with Cathy where we had the most bittersweet meal of my entire life.

cathy is to mer as big heart is to little heart

random thought
: i really need to pick up new batteries for my electric toothbrush. i keep forgetting because I have a non-battery-operated toothbrush.

random photo
that makes me happy ... (it's gonna be a while before I get over how happy I am about this... my apologies. in advance. ish.)




random. i know. don't say I didn't warn you.

9 comments:

ali said...

The Smithsonian -- you absolutley HAVE TO GO! Probably one of the best things you can ever do for free... I don't know if you're big on American History (probably not - haha -- but I love it), but they just re-did the American History Museum, and it's quite the place! Come to think of it actually, the other museums are all pretty neat too...

Aw man, now look, in the course of writing this comment, I have given myself a huge desire to go there myself... dang it.

mer said...

it's FREE ???

Now I am DEFINITELY going. I'm a big museum/art gallery dork. I'm dying to go to the MOMA and the Guggenheim because for one messed up reason or another I've never been (and yet I've been to the Met 4 times...)

And I love American history, so I will google that museum and make sure it's open. Oh, this is going to be such a dork-fest... I'm loving it already. T-minus 36 hours to me cracking and buying the plane tickets.......

ali said...

The Smithsonian is free... most of the "tourist" stuff in DC is -- Well, not exactly because my tax dollars kind of pay for it, but you get the picture.

Oh -- and if you're going, and you have some interest in American History, you might as well visit the Ford Theatre where Lincoln was shot... it's pretty cool... they just re-opened that too...

I could go on, and on, and on about DC, it's one of my favorite places in the world... and now -- I'll probably be talking about it all day... poor friends...

Oh man -- I just visited the Smithsonian website and was looking down the list of museums... yep, I'm pretty much dieing to go now...

mer said...

I went to the British Museum (a monument to colonial pillage if there ever was one) and it was, despite my inherent distaste for pretty much everything the Brits did (internationally) before 1960, one of the more speech-decimating experiences of my life.

Especially the Rosetta Stone. That one kind of gutted me and left me speechless for a good twenty minutes. It was a lot smaller than I expected.

As soon as I cave and buy this ticket I am coming to you for a full list of what to do in DC.

JK said...

Yes, come to DC! It's so very fun. All of the Smithsonian museums are fun, but I could spend (and have spent) hours and hours in the National Gallery. Also, the museum of African Art is often overlooked, but it's also very interesting. The museum of American History is just now open again and is supposed to be completely renovated and awesome. There are a bunch of other fun museums in the area that aren't free, but might also be worth checking out, like the Spy Museum. Also, the Newseum which is right next to the swank Canadian Embassy.

And of course...you can always come to cheer on Ovi and the Caps! :P

KD said...

@Mer,
DC is one of my most favorite places. I've seen the monuments and been to the museums several times, but it doesn't matter. They're still amazing.

If you come to Pittsburgh, we must all meet up!! I'd also be willing to meet up with you in DC for a whirlwind adventure. :)

I bought a pretty copy of Anna Karenina a few years ago, but I'm afraid to start it. It's daunting.

Lauren said...

Umm, if you come to Pittsburgh, I'd better know about it as soon as you book the ticket. That is all.

ali said...

@JK -- I went to the Spy Museum for the first time last year -- crazy crazy fun, but at the same time, awfully creepy... It kind of made me never want to walk outside again... haha... especially not in DC

mer said...

there is a Spy Museum? oh god. now I HAVE to go.

okay, i'll be back in a couple hours (minutes) when I've booked a ticket.




JK - i've got a buddy who lives like 5 minutes from Capitol Hill, but I haven't heard back from him. if I don't get a hold of him, i'm going to need the name of a cheap hostel :)

and JK, march 8th? caps-pens? i'm willing to drop a lot of cash (well a 100-200 $) to see Crosby, Geno, Ovie, and MAYBE Army and the chance to maybe get Sykora to sign my jersey...