Wednesday, 4 February 2009

hump-day randomness

random best-website-ever discovery: Tombstone Builder et al.


random wikipedia discovery: EWWWWW. TOM-icky-CRUISE went to my high school *shudder* You'd think that I'd have known that: I knew about Peter Jennings, Adrienne Clarkson, Dan Aykroyd and Omar al-Mufti...


random reason for Sens fans to rejoice: putting Ray Emery on waivers last summer and sparing ourselves more of this ...




random movie quote that has me in tears laughing for no good reason: "People don't kill at Hyatts. Other chains, yes. But the Hyatt, no."
- Billy Crystal in 'America's Sweethearts'

the Vancouver Hyatt + clever use of a contrast tool = ...
it never looks this pretty. ever. ask the Red Wings, they would know

the view mind you...
is something else...



random (arguably-feminist) rant: i was born in the wrong decade. possibly even in the wrong century. when did it stop being acceptable to want to just get married have four kids and live in the country? seriously?!? okay, so sure, I want to visit every country that exists in my lifetime, reform the UN's DKPO and re-write the UNHRC's operating manual, and write -at last count, 20- novels, but mostly i want marry some sweet, silly man who can tolerate my obsession with hockey, won't take my undying love for Dany Heatley as a threat, and who won't force me to get married in a big, hideous, poofy, white dress in a church. then I'd like to raise a hockey hall-of-famer, or four. or maybe some kick-ass snowboarders or something. seriously.

wasn't feminism about the right to do what we wanted? so why do i feel forced to conform to some ludicrous standard of academic-over-achievement that makes me (literally) bang my head against a wall as I am subjected to pretentious, elitist bastards who are so out of touch with reality that they think they can look down on common people and still get voted into office? (and people wonder why I haven't finished my bloody undergrad degree yet...)

i'm the smart girl who jumped out the window of the ivory tower, not because there was a prince at the bottom ready to whisk me away into the sunset but because the prince who came up to rescue me got too caught up in how nice it felt looking down on the world from said ivory tower and made the risk of breaking both my legs worth jumping out...


random craving: alexander keith's. best. beer. ever. I am glad I'm going for beers with G tomorrow. now, if only I could drag BJ out of her PhD-induced-hermitage, then my week would be complete.



random thing making me SMILE:
twenty four days...



I may need to do the world a favour and kidnap him, if only to give him a haircut:
hockey hair is so last season...



oh, and, because i can't help but make this a weekly tradition: Happy Wednesday Ali!

9 comments:

Jessclub7 said...

Do not even start me on university elitism. *Inhales*

I have attempted 4 different degrees at 4 different universities (such is the life of the Constant Disappointment!)- history, English Literature, politics and the one I finally got, business. That made most people I know go WTF? Cause I am not interested or inclined towards that at all but I did it because I was at the point where I HAD to finish something. And it was easy!

Then, because I am lazy and didn't want to get a proper job, decided to do law postgrad - thinking I could go on some great reforming crusade. My spirit was broken within about an hour. The other people on the course were such braying idiots it was unreal. They were all rich, upper class fools. They had no empathy with anyone and were all going to get jobs in Daddy's law firm at the end of it.

And there I was - no inheritance, no private school (the government has actually recently shut down my old school for 'failing'!), no lawyer Daddy connections whatsoever. My parents lived in Africa for years and have no interest in any kind of politicking, schmoozing, materialism etc.

I ploughed through it hating every second and hating myself for just sucking it up. Then I came to do my very last exam after almost 3 years - if I did this exam I could be employed as a fully qualified lawyer and could sue people and bill by the hour and all that good stuff - and I stayed in bed. And it was the best sleep I have ever had!

The best thing that I learned at university was that the people with the loudest voices actually have the least to say.

And are generally tools! *Exhales*

ali said...

Most definately an interesting post!

The joke around my college campus, is that girls go here to get their "MRS" degree. This school is REALLY known for it's "matchmaking." When they had a ice sculpting contest last week someone actually made a big heart that said, "...Makin' love since 1897." haha...

I, however, am not planning on getting my MRS while I'm here... haha

I do go to a small school in a VERY small town though, so that probably has something to do with it.

Happy Wednesday to you too! :D! Although this Wednesday isn't shaping out to be near as excellent as last week's...

ali said...

Oh -- and your countdown makes me sad -- because you'll make it to the East Coast before I do. I've started a countdown, and it's a lot longer than yours... not cool.

mer said...

good god ali! people still do that?????? the MRS thing? that was a joke my MOTHER you to say - about HER generation!

mer said...

@ jess - you don't even want to get me started about my post-secondary track record. it makes me seem so much more messed up than I am.... or no wait, actually maybe it makes me seem AS messed up as i am... not sure

ali said...

@mer -- Oh yes. We were actually talking about it last night at dinner... haha... it's definately alive and well. No offense to the age of your mother or anything, but it's probably been going on here since the start -- 1897. Lovely.

JK said...

I hate the random pressure that comes with school. When I was at my undergrad, my (extended) family could not understand why I wasn't majoring in business or communications or something similar. I had the silly idea that I should pursue things I was genuinely interested in and ended up with "useless" degrees in history and anthropology. I didn't think I would make it out of school without seriously injuring the next person to say "Oh, you must want to be a teacher" after explaining what I was studying.

I've flirted with the idea of law school, even though I think being a lawyer would be miserable. I basically have to go to grad school at some point to pursue what I really want to do, I just can't take more school right now.

Also, I can't see the Ray Emery video as it "cannot be viewed from [my] current country or location", but I bet it's very ridiculous.

@ Jess - Where in Africa did your parents live?

@ Ali - There is a small college like that in my hometown. Almost all of my childhood friends were married by 21.

mer said...

@ jk - you're in the US aren't you... it's on youtube though.

Jessclub7 said...

I am so late replying to this - I am back home now from my younger brother's wifi enabled McMansion. Back in my hovel which doesn't even have a phoneline - let alone dial up. (I am the Nic to his Anna - blog crossover alert!)

mer - just remember that there is always someone out there more messed up than you are. And it's probably me!

JK - my parents lived in Swaziland, Mozambique and South Africa (under apartheid no less). My mum is a teacher so she was doing that. My dad WAS a geologist and he was over there doing diamond and platinum drilling and exploration. Or exploitation probably more aptly.

They didn't live in SA for very long though as I think they were both quite uncomfortable with the political situation there.

I am going to S Africa in July as part of a project to build a school in Kwa-Zulu Natal so I am quite interested to see how things are there now.

Sorry for hijacking your blog Mer with this massive comment!