Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Day 15 - Kicking and screaming

Day 15 – On the Brooklyn-bound L train. On the way to JFK. In denial.

I don’t want to get on the plane to go ‘home’. It feels like a death sentence; a sentence to monotony and boredom, to a return to a place that is not actually home.

It is ~3:30 a.m. Just finished this trip the way I started it: drinking a pints of Blue Moon and eating cheap pizza with A.J. at the Charleston.












I
f you’re ever in Brooklyn get off the L train at Bedford station and cross Bedford Street; the Charleston is just to the right of the intersection at N. 7th St. It's 6$ for a pint and a 12” pizza. It's like Pizza-Pizza pizza (for those of you who know what that means), but I've only been there between 2 and 4 in the morning, and at that time of day, that's usually what you want! Five Stars! (if you love wicked, dingy bars at 3 a.m.)

Told A.J. Brooklyn’s on my short list of places I may move. Brooklyn. Montreal. Pittsburgh. (Even though I’ve never been. I’d never been to BC before moving there and it is the best decision I ever made.) I want to visit Pittsburgh, even if I don’t move there: I’ve heard too many good things about it not to at least visit.

Mostly, I just want to stay here. Here, where it seems more like home. Here, where there is real winter and people appreciate 18°C weather the first weekend of March.

There are so many people I love out here. It’s a big ‘out here’, spanning from the western-most tip of Lake Ontario to Halifax and south to Washington, DC, but this is home.

Home is where the pond hockey happens.

Home is in the Eastern time zone.

Home is where the winter is ugly and not-quite-white and a-little-too-bitterly-cold-for-comfort.

If I’ve realized anything on this trip, it’s how unexpectedly wonderful things can be. I’d forgotten how easy life can be when you’re where you’re supposed to be. I’m supposed to be here. Somewhere around here: be it in upstate New York or Western Quebec or South-Central Pennsylvania.

Maybe knowing I belong here will make the rest of my time in Vancouver more exciting. Maybe knowing that I’m not going to be there forever will make me appreciate it more while I am there.

I’ll stay for the Olympics.

the countdown clock exactly one year before Olympic hockey graces GM Place :)

Having them come to me will most likely be a once in a lifetime experience. And I’ll try to see a whole bunch more of the province this summer when I’m not working my butt off to pay off my stupid student loans, et c.

I’m going to tie up loose ends here, finish my degree, finish the Vancouver chapter of my life (which, by 2010, will have been five years of my life!) and I will move on. I will move home. Probably not forever. Probably not to settle for good. Not for now, at least. I won’t be going home to Ottawa, where I was born, but it will cover the same corner of the universe: the same winters, the same muggy summers, the same NHL conference, the same east coast mentality.

Come 2010, I’m re-setting my home-base: I’m coming home.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Cleveland is not my home. Most of the time, I am able to find happiness in living here simply knowing that this is only temporary.

2010 will be a big year for me, too. I'll graduate in May and then, fearfully, I will accept that I am a real live bonafide adult. *shiver*

But I also believe that a new chapter in my life will mean new adventures! :)

mer said...

you'll be turning 24 in 2010. 24 was a HUGE year for me. not in all the best ways (at least not at the time) but HUGE.

and my insane plottings come to fruition, I will be graduating in 2010 too (although I expect I'll finish in August)... I may have to drive across North America in a pick-up truck. It may end up in Pittsburgh. who knows!