Thursday, 26 March 2009

Oops! I did it again...

So, a while back, I wrote a post about trying to read more... and how I wasn't going to buy any more books until I'd read the ones I already own. Yeah... EPIC FAIL.

This morning, I went to Lougheed Mall (the epitome of suburban, teenage hell) to purchase an alarm clock and came home with an alarm clock and six new books.

In my defence, five of the six were 3$ or less. The last one was 10$ for a 700-page hardcover.

My haul?

If a Pirate I Must Be - Richard Sanders (3$) - HOW, oh HOW, can you not by a book with that title??? I'll tell you, you can't. Not if you're me. If you like pirates, I highly recommend "Under the Black Flag" by David Cordingly (the world's foremost pirate historian).

Theatre of War - Lewis Lapham (2$) - I love this book. I've had this book since it came out. I bought a copy for my room-mate.

Blood and Soil - Ben Kiernan (10$) - A comprehensive history of genocide. I'm a sick, sad little IR dork.

Without Fear: Hockey's 50 Greatest Goaltenders - Kevin Allen & Bob Duff (3$) - It was 3$. Come on.

Coaching Kids' Hockey - T.J. O'Grady (3$) - Research.

...and my personal favourite, which I DEFINITELY bought just because of the title:

Why Everbody Hates Toronto: Startling Suggestions of a Pseudo-Scientific Study - Michael B. Davie (2$) - A) because it was 2$, B) because it was 2$, and C) Chapter Six: Spoiled Sports.

All, in all, not a bad haul for 24.11$

Still and EPIC FAIL on the New Year's resolution front...

4 comments:

Susan said...

I'll have to check out the pirate books. Way back, I am descended from Henry Morgan. I do have a little pirate in me! Wish I got royalties from the rum ;)

Val said...

@Susan - I knew there was a reason I liked you!

@Mer - how could you not buy them, they were inexpensive, and all are valuable in one way or another. I hereby absolve you of Epic Fail guilt!

Stephanie B said...

Buying too many books is definitely not the worst habit a person could have!!

And, Mer, your Eastern Canada French Immersion-ness is showing through!! 2$?? I think it's $2!! I only picked up on it because I do the exact same thing! :-P

mer said...

@ stephanie - i don't think I've ever done anything but "2$" funny how the stupid things stick with you, like how I can never remember the words for "pamplemouse" and "parapluie" without saying the French words first...

@ susan - we'll have to go digging for treasure someday ;)

@val - I don't do buyers remorse. Not about books, at least. :P