Thursday, 14 May 2009

Is This Real Life?

Well folks, here's my inaugural post. I've been wanting to blog for a long time, but never got around to making my own. Mer was nice enough to extend an offer to let me contribute to Life is Peachy, so I hope you enjoy my random musings.

I’m not technically a Pittsburgher, but I feel like one. I’m sure that people with a 152-- zip code would argue that there’s no way I’m a Pittsburgher because I live nearly 50 miles north of the city. However, my work address is a Pittsburgh one and I’m in the city at least once a week. I bleed black and gold, I have a favorite Primanti’s sandwich, and I can point out the three rivers with no hesitation. Even though I cannot vote for the mayor of Pittsburgh, I still care who wins. In my heart, I am a Pittsburgher.

I’ve been to several fantastic cities, like Paris, Toronto, St. Louis, and Washington, DC (to name a few), but no city makes my heart feel like it’s going to burst quite like Pittsburgh does. I’ve seen the skyline more times than I can even begin to count, but every single time I see it, it takes my breath away. The sight of Mellon Arena makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

For me, there is only one thing better than seeing the skyline of Pittsburgh and that is seeing it though someone else’s eyes. As soon as Mer told me she was coming to Pittsburgh, my first thought was, I can’t wait for her to see the view of the city coming out of the Liberty Tubes! The skyline of Pittsburgh is visible from many different areas, but coming out of the Liberty Tunnels is, by far, my favorite view of the city. It’s even more breathtaking at night. Even if you are a native Pittsburgher, the view coming out of the tunnels just screams, WELCOME TO PITTSBURGH!

As we were speeding down 279, singing Kelly Clarkson at the top of our lungs, Mer asked me, “Will I know when we’re getting close to the city? Will there be a hill or something?” I smiled and said, “Just wait.” There was no explanation needed. Traffic was quite sparse at 1 AM, so we were able to speed through the tunnels. As I saw the light from the city approaching, I could barely contain my excitement. I was not only excited to see the skyline under the night’s sky for myself, but I couldn’t wait for Mer to take in one of my favorite sights in the entire world. As the city came into view, I heard her take a deep breath. That was enough for me. I didn’t need to hear how much she loved it or how beautiful she thought it was. No words were necessary in that moment.

Having the opportunity to share the City of Pittsburgh with five incredible ladies was something I’ll never forget. Lauren and I were lucky enough to play tour guide for two glorious days. It wasn’t nearly long enough, so we’ll have to do it again…and again, and again. I’ve lived in Western Pennsylvania my entire life and still haven’t seen everything that Pittsburgh has to offer. Pittsburgh has not been voted America’s Most Livable City for no reason. I want to raise my children here.

There is so much I want to say about that weekend in Pittsburgh, but I cannot find adequate words to express what it is I want to say or to describe the indelible stamp that it has left on my heart. Perhaps after I’ve had time to reflect upon it, the words will come. However, I am not counting on it. Some people sound pretentious when they say, “Oh, you had to be there.” to describe a snippet in time, but there are no words that ring more true than those. Unless you were there, there’s really no way you can understand how amazing it truly was.

As PittGirl once said, "I love Pittsburgh. If I could pick it up, wrap my arms around it, kiss it on the forehead and tell it I love it for all its faults, I so would."

5 comments:

mer said...

<3 <3 <3

Lauren said...

love <3

ali said...

I remember my first time seeing Pittsburgh... I'll never forget it.

:)

Love you all!

Clare said...

Love! and truly "you had to be there"

lauren said...

You people are making me want to visit Pittsburgh. I'm glad you had such an awesome time! :-)