Sunday, 14 June 2009

How Did We Get Here?




2009 Stanley Cup Champions. Unreal.


This season has been legendary. A coaching change, the trades, the struggles, the triumphs; this season was better than a Hollywood movie.

As long as the hockey season is, each one feels like a lifetime. So much can happen in 82 regular season and 24 playoff games. Anything from injuries to personnel shake-ups can change the the course of a season from 10th place in the conference to Stanley Cup Champions.

A lot can happen in real life over 106 games, as well. If you had told me in October that I would have met people this season that I can't believe I ever lived without, I would have assumed that you consume large amounts of cough syrup, Cobra Scorpion whiskey, and Vicodin - together and quite often.

Well, here we are, two days removed from the greatest day I've ever known and I can tell you, without a doubt, that there are people in my life now, that weren't in it last season. Those people have changed my life forever.


I didn't know one single person in this photo six months ago.


Six months ago, this conversation would not have happened:




Unbeknownst to me, a Pens fan sitting near us on the lawn documented that incredible evening. Pay close attention to 7:25. I will remember that forever. ♥




I'm not even sure there are enough words in the English language to express how much this season has meant to me. Without this season, and really, the Cup run of last season, my life would be so much different. It's crazy to think how hockey can bring people together, but it truly can. People don't believe this crazy insane story, but that's ok, because I like my life crazy and insane.

All I can do is say thank you. Thank you to the Pittsburgh Penguins for making me the happiest I have ever been. Thank you to the great sport of hockey for being well, great. Your greatness is what brings people together. Thank you to the amazingly wonderful people I have met this season. You truly have no idea how much you mean to me.

Here's to many more glorious seasons of Stanley Cup runs, plotting, gong shows, and all-out ridiculousness.


These are the moments I thank God that I'm alive
These are the moments I'll remember all my life...




6 comments:

25superstar said...

Awww! I'm getting misty-eyed. And the soundtrack is definately not helping. Amazing story. Wow.

GO PENS! :]

mer said...

I love you Kylie, more than the Pittsburgh skyline from Mount Washington on my 26th birthday, more than the national anthem after a fifth consecutive Baby Team Canada win in the gold medal game at world juniors, more than Kris Letang raising the Stanley Cup for Luc Bourdon, more than our beloved Pens' storybook ending, more than life.

And I could not ask for more...
Ever.

Val said...

Kylie, you are a gem...all of you women are a blessing to each other and me...and what a sweet reminder of an awesome season this blogpost is...

Thank you! GO PENS!!

Lauren said...

So I'm a million years late with this, but this made me cry a lot.

Can't imagine where I'd be without you. Seriously, how did we go so long without being friends? That was a mistake on the universe's part - I'm glad it has been corrected.

lovelovelove

(P.S. I lovelovelove that I see so many people saying lovelovelove on Twitter, blogger, etc. and I don't think most of them know the REAL meaning behind it, but I lovelovelove it just the same :) )

mer said...

@lauren - I doubt any of them even know who started it :P but who cares right? better to spread the lovelovelove!

Kylie said...

@Lauren & Mer
It completely makes my day when I see someone use lovelovelove.