Friday, 17 July 2009

Inquiry Results and other things that Make Mer Cry

I am about to ruin your day. Sorry.

According to an official inquiry in the matter, the Avangard Omsk doctors aren't to blame for Alexei Cherepanov's death last fall. You can read the full story here.

An autopsy revealed he had myocarditis. The article freaks me out a bit. Mostly this one part:
"...doctors had no way of knowing about Cherepanov's condition, according to the statement - which seemed to lay more blame on Cherepanov than anyone else.

It said medical experts suspect Cherepanov felt unwell because of his condition but hid the fact from team doctors for fear of being pulled from games."

I hate when I'm right about things like this:
"...imagine you're an 19 year-old hockey player who doesn't know he has myocarditis (an inflammation of the heart muscle, which results in not enough blood getting to the heart). Your lungs keep hurting. You keep getting winded. You don't feel so good on the whole. You're getting tired too easily. You think there's something wrong with you. That maybe you can't cut it. Maybe you're not strong enough to make it in the big league..."
Sometimes reality frightens me. I almost wish I'd been wrong about this. But I knew I wasn't. I am rarely wrong about stuff like this anymore. Somehow, I always seem to know things I simply shouldn't.

2 comments:

lauren said...

I cried when this happened. I'm afraid to read the report because I'll cry again. What an awful situation.

RIP Alexei.

mer said...

I cried when it happened. I cried on April 4th this year. I cried reading the report. I cried writing this post.

And I honestly don't cry THAT much usually.