Friday, 17 July 2009

J'vie dans un rève...


So the interview that links to is in French. It's shocking how much smarter Kristopher Letang sounds in French. It's like he plays dumb for the fans in Pittsburgh, and when he gets home he lets himself be all eloquent again... and as much as he's adorable as sin on KDKA, I like him better on Radio-Canada. (For those of you unfamiliar with Canadian broadcasters, Radio-Canada is French CBC - as in it's the same organization, just the French division.) I love him when he's being all silly, but I like it way more when talks about how amazing Mario is as a role model and how the Penguins are, for the most part, a highly disciplined bunch who follow Sid's lead and don't go out partying like some young NHLers *coughthehabscough*

Parts to squeee about:

6:20 ish --> Mario sent the boys a text message before game seven that said, essentially, play your best and I'll see you at centre-ice.

8:25 --> The smile. My knees just turned to gooooooo......

9:00 --> Je vie dans un rève... KRIS DOESN'T WANT TO LEAVE PITTSBURGH!!! Not even to play for the Habs. (His words, "maybe when the time comes... by the time I'm thirty.") For the record, this is like a kid from Baw-stawn not wanting to play for the Bruins... it's almost sacrilege. Almost. The "French Connection" and playing for Mario (who was his childhood idol) somehow makes it okay. Because Mario is kind of like a Jesus in Quebec. (Maurice Richard was God.)

11:00 --> France: Do you think Pittsburgh has what it takes to be a dynasty?
Kris: Yes.
Mer: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!



The sick thing? I've been thinking in French lately. I caught myself doing it at work tonight. I actually answered someone's ENGLISH question en francais. Weirdness. Clearly I am homesick for eastern Canada where it's strange NOT to be bilingual...

Now, who wants to make me a .gif of him at about 8:24 when he's talking about Gill? Someone's got to know how... I pay in cookies and lovelovelove...

8 comments:

Gen said...

I'm so happy I'm not the only one who watched it... I have to say he made me miss home as well and he sounds much better en francais

25superstar said...

i wish i knew how to make a .gif!

it's true. he's so much more eloquent in french, although my French brain didn't want to work when i watched this at like midnight last night. I got the gist.

Kris, you are amazing.

Kylie said...

When you move to Pittsburgh, we'll speak in French all the time. (Hopefully I'll be fully conversational by then).

Wrap knows how to make .gif. Hit her up!

ali said...

This fall I'm taking French... if our professor asks us why we decided to start taking French, I am saying, with no qualms, "I am learning French so I can understand French speaking hockey players."

It's the truth. I have no shame. haha

mer said...

@gen - Kris has the same sort of accent my mom had (she was raised in L'Ile Perrot) and whenever I head him speak it makes me feel like I've come home...

@ali - I'll have to tutor you on Quebec accents, because they will be nearly incomprehensible if you're learning from someone France-French.

vancitycanuck said...

I love all of the frenchness! It makes me seem less crazy for self teaching myself a languange...

but still feel crazy since I live on the Westcoast where no one actually speaks it.

Gen said...

@mer You're more than welcome to the Burgh (I know you already came earlier but I was still in Qc) we'll go cheer for him in french

mer said...

@ Gen - OOOH!!! Come to the Sens-Pens game with Kylie and I (and possibly others???) on December 23rd... if you're in town, of course and not back in la belle pronvince.

Ahh! je viens juste de trouve votre blog!