Wednesday, 15 July 2009

An Open Letter to Maxime Tablot and Kristopher Letang

Cher Kristopher et Maxime,
My favourite boys... My belated congratulations on winning the Stanley Cup! I knew you would do it (not could, would). After the 2008 loss to Detroit, all I wanted was a re-match. Redemption. I never gave up believing that you would make it back to the Cup final. And you did. And so did they. And I got the rematch I wanted, but never really believed I would get.

You didn't let me down. You rarely do. This season was an incredible ride! But now it is over and we must look forward, into the coming season. The schedule for the upcoming season was released today, and I'm already trying to figure out how the heck I am going to afford to come to Pittsburgh to watch you cream my Senators at Christmas-time. (I'll be the chick in the Heatley jersey cheering like a hellcat when you two score.)

Then I remembered that this will be the team's last season in the Igloo. And I immediately tried to figure out if there was any way I could be there for the last game. The last regular season game. But even that might not be the last game because you are bound to make the playoffs again next spring. Which got me thinking about when the last game ever in Mellon Arena will be, and what it will be and suddenly I couldn't breathe.

I've been watching the Pens play in the Igloo since I was a little girl, and there is only one thing I can say, with absolute certainty, that I have never seen happen in that arena, one thing NO Pens fan has ever borne witness to in that forty-six year old arena you call home. And they're tearing it down, so there will never be another shot, so...

Can you please raise the Cup on home ice?

How utterly, unbelievably, heartbreakingly AMAZING would it be for the last game EVER in the Igloo be a home team win in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final? I nearly cried just thinking about it.

Lauren called it a fairytale ending, and it really would be. You're boys, but don't pretend you don't want -with every bone in your bodies- that fairytale ending just as much as I do. Don't pretend you don't get all heart-bursty when you see a copy of Le chandail de hockey in a bookstore or stop and really look at the back of a Canadian five dollar bill.
I know you do. Max, you said that June 12th was the best day of your entire life. I don't doubt for a millisecond that it was. Kris, you won the Cup for a lost friend and nearly cried on national television. I was actually crying. I won't let anyone tell me that anyone in the league has more heart than the two of you.

I wouldn't ask this of you if I thought you were not up to the task. I believe that you are. I believe that you two, more than anyone else, are capable of making this insane goal a reality.

Over the past fifteen months, you have both played like the beasts you are and you have scored me a ton of goals (I have a list, and Max I am willing to buy you a drink per goal, so keep scoring and you'll be drinking for free when I move to Pitt). Okayyyy, sure, you may not have scored them FOR ME, but you tend to score when I ask (or take shots that get the primary assist when someone deflects them into the net) so it really does seem like you're scoring them for me. And it's fun, in my ridiculous little mind, to pretend that you can hear me when I ask for you to pull out all the stops and make real the near impossible. And then you DO.

You both do ridiculous things sometimes. From scoring clutch goals in the last 35 seconds of Cup Final elimination games, to scoring an OT game-winner as your first ever playoff goal, to (repeatedly) scoring thirty seconds after I ask you to, to scoring your team's only two goals in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final (WHEN YOU HAVE SID AND GENO ON YOUR TEAM)... frankly, you two are so full of clutch, it hurts my little heart.

I know a Stanley Cup victory on home ice is a tall order. But, admit it, you want to win the Cup again next year ANYWAYS, so how unreasonable is it to try to make sure you can do it with home ice advantage? Logically, you know you'd already like that, too. And imagine how it could end! Imagine how LOUD it would be in the Igloo, how insane Carson Street would be that night, how much the entire city would explode with joy. I've lived in three hockey towns and spent time in a half dozen others and the only thing I can think of that would possibly EVER compare is a Team Canada win at the Vancouver Games. And, let's be honest, you both know there's about a 1 in 100 chance you'll make the Olympic team (this time around). And, when you get down to it, the party in Pittsburgh might be even better than that because it will be summer and your fans will be camped out on the lawn (NBC can SUCK IT) and in every sports bar in metropolitan Pittsburgh. And because Pens fans are unlike any other I have ever met.

I know I've already asked for so, so much. So I'm not asking you to do this for me, I'm asking you to do it for all of your fans, for yourselves and your families, for the City of Pittsburgh, and for the Igloo itself: after all these years, it deserves to watch its Penguins raise the Cup
on home ice. Watching it happen in the last NHL game it will ever host would be more than appropriate; endings don't get much more fairytale than that.

Max, you insane, die-hard romantic fool, you, please make this happen. And Kristopher, babe, win the Cup for you this time, okay?


l'amour fou mes chers,
Merise

5 comments:

25superstar said...

Okay, so i'm bawling. this NEEDS to happen.

PS-Would you believe I've read "Le chandail de hockey" in the original French. I'm just that clutch.

Val said...

After reading this letter, why wouldn't Max and Kris do pretty much anything you ask of them?

mer said...

@erika - I would believe it. I think I learned to read in French with that book when I was four or five.

@Val, they tend to do so already, don't they? I mean, how many times did they score when I asked this post-season??? I have a list. It's honestly a little frightening...

I just hope someone, somewhere, puts this idea in Max Talbot's head because you know there will be no stopping him if he gets it in his head that he wants to win the Cup on home ice. He'll make it happen, because that's just the kind of guy he is...

Susan said...

So shall it be

ali said...

beautiful. just beautiful.

Make it happen boys!