Saturday, 29 August 2009

Miikka Kiprusoff Days



The hockey withdrawal was eased just a little by the Red vs. White Hockey Canada scrimmage. Then again, it was sent into overdrive by the tease this game provided. It was like providing a delicious morsel of sugar to a diabetic - we were left wanting more. Thankfully, there are only Miikka Kiprusoff Days until the puck finally drops on another 82 games of beautiful action.

If you've been paying attention at all, you already know that I love this man. He is just plain epic. He's like my Peyton Manning of hockey. If I were ever given the opportunity to meet him, I don't think I would be able to utter two words. My mouth would just hang open in awe...




Miikka was born in Turko, Finland on October 26, 1976 and was drafted in the 5th round, 116th OA by the San Jose Sharks in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.

After spending three seasons as a back-up with the Sharks, Miikka was traded in 2003 to the Calgary Flames and ended the regular season with an NHL record GAA of 1.69.







Miikka won both the Vezina and Jennings Trophies in 2006. That same year, he also broke the Flames franchise record for most wins in a season with 42.

On October 30, 2007, he signed a six-year extension with Calgary worth $35 million.

In the 2008–09 season, Miikka once again set a new record for most wins by a Calgary Flames goaltender, recording his 43rd win on March 28, 2009.




Absolutely. Brilliant.








We know I love a good, dirty hockey fight.

Miikka Kiprusoff in a hockey fight is what my dreams are made of.






My favorite goaltender (sorry, MAF) holds the following records:

*NHL record for lowest goals against average, single-season - 1.69 GAA in 2003–04

*Flames franchise record for most shutouts in a single-season - 10 in 2005–06

*Flames franchise record for most wins in a single-season - 45 in 2008–09

*Flames franchise record for most games played in a single-season - 76 in 2007–08 and 2008–09

*Flames franchise record for most shutouts, all-time - 32





Dear Calgary Flames,
Please get Miikka a decent back-up. How do you expect him to take you on a deep playoff run if the poor man only gets a break six times a year?! Think about that one, ok?
lovelovelove,
Kylie








On the way home from Toronto, we spotted a car with a Calgary Flames bumper sticker. My first thought was, "MIIKKA!" The driver needed to know my love for Miikka, stat!

Thanks to my trusty co-pilot, Ali, a sign was made, put up the window, and my love for the Finnish Wonder was spread across Ontario. We even got a little fist-pump from the driver in recognition and all was right with the world.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Would you disown me if I said that my favorite Fin is still Jarkko Ruutu? I <3 him...

Val said...

shhh...we won't tell MAF about your love for Miikka and who doesn't love a fightin' mad goalie?

25superstar said...

Miikka is indeed epic.