Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Valtteri Filppula Days



I have a guilty pleasure and his name is Valtteri Filppula. As if it weren't enough for me to love Mike Green, I have a penchant for another man in red. There are 51 days until the beautiful game returns. You know what that means....Happy Valtteri Filppula Days!

Special thanks to Deets for being super clutch and helping me with today's post. I woke up to all of this beauty in my inbox this morning. What a great way to start the day! Try as she might, she will not make me love the Detroit Red Wings. However, I could probably be comfortable with tolerating them, and even perhaps cheering for them when I visit the Joe (if they aren't playing one of my Western Conference loves).

Val was born on March 20, 1984 in Vantaa, Finland and is the younger brother of Ilari Filppula.

He was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the third round, 95th OA, in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft and began his hockey career with Jokerit in 2005.

On December 15, 2005, Val made his NHL debut with the Red Wings, becoming the first Finnish player ever to play for Detroit. He scored his first NHL goal on October 28, 2006 against former Red Wing, Manny Legacé in a game against the St. Louis Blues. He scored his first playoff career goal in Game 1 against the Calgary Flames on April 12, 2007 in his first post-season game.




This hurts my heart, but it is a beautiful goal...





Val is one of only four Red Wings to have scored two penalty shots in the same season (Gordie Howe and Steve Yzerman are two of the other three).

On July 30, 2008, Val signed a five-year, $15-million contract with the Red Wings, avoiding salary arbitration

He was Captain of Team Finland at the World U18 Championships in 2002.

He was named a tournament all-start at the World Junior Championships in 2004.






























































Val ranks as one of the top Finnish players in the NHL.

Unsurprisingly, he has been invited to the Finnish Olympic Camp.































So, he's both a pimp and a vampire?!
Weird things happen in Detroit, fer sher.



























6 comments:

Lauren said...

That smile should be illegal.

Kylie, as for becoming a Wings fan, never say never. After all, Mike Green did turn you into a Caps fan ;)

Val said...

I'm with Lauren, never say never, and he is one beautiful male speciman...

mer said...

He looks like the boys version of my friend Alexis (not Ali, another Alexis). It freaks me out a little. She's not at all Finnish...

25superstar said...

what a beautiful, beautiful man.
that first picture took my breath awayyyyy.

lauren said...

I love him so much! And I love this post, even though I sent you most of it, haha. You are so going to a game at the Joe with me. I demand it. =]

Susan said...

Now, that one I get. He is one pretty boy. That did make my day (even if he is a Red Wing).