Thursday, 10 September 2009

The deifnition of Ironic

As the world gets bigger and faster and people travel more and connect in heretofore unimagined ways (Did anyone in scifi ever invent Twitter? Seriously?) I think it's interesting that we've begun to shrink as a society again. You can only expand so far before everything begins to contract (or implode) again. This time, it's interesting because it's networking that has been the focus of these sites. Keeping track of people. Meeting new people. Knowing what's going on. Telling everyone the innane BS that's running through your own mind. It's self-indulgence at it's scariest.

But it's a global village. And you can only connect so many people before the people who created you connect to it as well. Before your parents join facebook... My lovely friend Lauren's parents are now both on facebook. This has provided us with endless amusement. I think it's an affliction people are beginning to have to deal with in masses... and the coping mechanisms are downright hilarious. This is probably the best thing I've seen today. This is a close second. If you look up ironic in my personal dictionary, this will be there as the definition.

I only have one thing to say:

Dearest Papa,
Thanks for being technologically illiterate.
love,
your kid

4 comments:

Val said...

I think your entire post pretty much sums up most people's feelings re: their parents and fb...you rock, Mer!

Jess said...

And here I am thinking that it's ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife ...

Susan said...

I got a Zanga account because Matthew had one and I love the way he writes. He knew I read his page and seemed okay with it. It gave me a chance to read his postings, not to be nosy, but just to enjoy his writing style.
He did accept me as a friend on Facebook. I hope this doesn't make me a crazy mother!

mer said...

Susan, as long as you don't ever start commenting about his significant others and how excited you are for them to get married, I think we can count you as a cool mom.